The consequences of a DUI offense in Washington carry substantial weight, and those consequences scalate in severity for repeat offenders. Beyond potential fines and incarceration, individuals may also encounter adverse effects on both their personal and career prospects. Here are a few examples:
● Fines ranging from $350 to $5,000
● Jail terms of one day up to 364 days
● 15 days of house arrest or a 90-day sobriety program as an alternative to jail
● Fines vary between $500 and $5,000.
● Jail sentences span from 30 days to a year.
● House arrest or a structured sobriety program as an alternative to jail
● Jail time of 90 days to a year
● Mandatory participation in a sobriety program for six months
● Fines that range from $1,000 to $5,000
In cases where there are prior DUI convictions within a ten-year period, or if the offense results in serious injuries or fatalities, a DUI can be elevated to a felony status. Felony DUIs can result in extended periods of incarceration and significant financial penalties.
Proactive planning is a crucial precautionary measure to guarantee the well-being of yourself, friends, and loved ones before attending social events involving alcohol. Designating a sober driver or utilizing alternative transportation methods are proven effective alternatives to driving under the influence.
In the four year period following the popularization of the term “designated driver”in the 1980s, alcohol-related traffic deaths have declined by nearly 50 percent. A reported 60% of Americans have benefited in some way from planning ahead and utilizing a designated driver. Joining them will help contribute towards preventing drunk driving fatalities and make the roads safer for everyone.
Ridesharing services have helped increase the cost effectiveness of alternative transportation methods to drunk driving. Also, public transportation is an available alternative in areas where it is accessible. Rideshare platforms, bus, train, and subway transportation can ensure a safe journey that can prevent the needless risks associated with driving impaired.
Facing a DUI arrest can be a distressing experience. A conviction can lead to significant repercussions, affecting your financial stability, personal liberty, and career. In such situations, it’s essential to establish a well-defined plan of action to protect your rights and build a strong legal defense.
Protect yourself by taking these steps after a DUI arrest:
● Stay calm and avoid arguing or resisting arrest. These actions could harm your future legal defense case.
● Remain Silent because anything you say can be used against you in court. Request to speak with an attorney first to explore your best options.
● Document the event immediately following your DUI arrest. Writing down all the specific facts and details about your case will help build your strongest legal defense.
● Contact a Tacoma DUI defense attorney that can offer the specialized legal advice you need when defending against DUI charges and consequences.