We have winter just around the corner! While a lot of people love the Christmas period, there are those who hate the cold weather and all of the hassle that comes along with it.
For car owners, you want to make sure you are not left out in the cold this coming season, and that is why careful maintenance is a must.
Below, we take a look at some of the different tips and pieces of advice that you can follow to make sure that your vehicle is maintained properly during the winter period.
- Book a servicing today – There is only one place to begin, and this is with getting your vehicle serviced. When the weather is cold outside, it can cause a lot of problems. However, a lot of people are unaware of the fact that half of these issues could be prevented by upkeep a regular servicing and maintenance schedule. The importance of this should never be overlooked, especially during the winter period. This is why it is important to find a good company offering servicing so you can be sure that your vehicle is always in the best possible condition.
- Make sure your car looks great – Whether it’s a small scratch, a dent, or someone has recently bumped into your vehicle and left their mark, getting auto body repair done now before the harsh winter sets in makes a lot of sense. Car problems tend to rise during the winter period, so now is a good time to make sure your car looks great.
- Clean your lights – Next, you need to make sure that your rear reflectors, lights, and indicators are all pristine. There should not be any cracked lenses nor should there be any blown bulbs. Furthermore, do not forget to check on the likes of full-beam highlights, fog lights, and your indicators. When the conditions are not ideal outside, effective lighting becomes even more critical.
- Use antifreeze to top up your engine coolant – You need to ensure that the coolant for your engine is a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. As time goes on, it is going to become diluted, and so you will need to use antifreeze to top it up. Do not make the mistake of using water to top it up over the course of the year, as you are only going to make the antifreeze even more diluted. This can cause your engine to get way too hot, which could even result in engine failure.
- Check the battery – Last but not least, you need to make sure that you check your car battery before the winter period kicks in, and during it. This is because there is a considerable amount of strain that is put on the battery of a vehicle during the colder months. You are going to use your lights, heater, and blower a lot more, and you have the cold weather to contend with, all of which contribute to battery drainage, so it is vital to keep a check on this.
So there you have it: some of the different steps that you can take to make sure that your vehicle is maintained properly during the winter period.
It is important to make sure that you adapt your car maintenance approach depending on the time of year, and we hope the tips above can help you with that.