The all-new 2019 Sierra set the new benchmark for capability, refinement and innovation when introduced earlier this year. Now, the GMC Sierra Denali is arriving at dealerships and strengthening GMC’s position as the preeminent brand for premium truck buyers.
Denali is the flagship of the next-generation Sierra lineup, distinguished by iconic design cues and segment-leading technologies. It leads a broader, bolder range of precisely engineered trucks, including new AT4 and Elevation models1, developed for the segment’s most discerning customers.
“GMC ignited the premium truck market 17 years ago with the launch of the Sierra Denali and the next-generation model sets a new standard with unparalleled advancements and exclusive design,” said Rich Latek, marketing director of GMC. “It offers more upscale appointments, purposeful technologies and capability – solidifying Denali as the ultimate in professional grade.”
Along with its bold design and premium features, the next-generation Sierra Denali ups the ante in the segment with exclusive ride and handling and performance technologies designed to deliver a seamless balance of comfort, control and capability. They include new Adaptive Ride Control and the most powerful V-8 engine available in the class.
The new Sierra Denali is offered as a crew cab, with nearly 3 inches of additional rear-seat legroom compared to the previous model. That roomier cabin is trimmed with Denali-exclusive materials, including premium Forge leather-appointed seating, authentic open-pore wood trim and dark-finish aluminum decor.
The 2019 Sierra Denali affirms its position as the most premium Sierra ever, with segment-leading technologies and exclusive features, including:
- GMC Exclusive, Industry-first MultiPro Tailgate is the most innovative pickup tailgate ever, with six unique functions and positions offering enhanced second-tier loading and load-stop solutions, a standing workstation and easier access to items in the box.
- GMC Exclusive, Industry-first Carbon Fiber Pickup Box2. The CarbonPro offers best-in-class dent, scratch and corrosion resistance.
- All-new ProGrade Trailering System with in-vehicle Trailering App offers a connected comprehensive suite of trailering technology that brings more confidence to the towing experience.
- Segment-first Multi-Color Head-Up Display projects key, customizable vehicle data on the windshield in a 3 x 7-inch display to help drivers keep their eyes on the road.
- Segment-first Rear Camera Mirror gives the driver the option of using a traditional inside rearview mirror or a rearview camera mirror display that provides a wider, unobstructed view that can help overcome common visual obstructions such as occupants or cargo. This next-generation system features the ability for zoom and vertical tilt adjustment.
Additional 2019 Sierra Denali highlights (standard and available features) include:
- Denali-exclusive exterior elements, including a bright, multidimensional grille, chrome exterior accents and body-color bumpers.
- New high-intensity LED headlamps that incorporate C-shaped “light blade” lighting elements, LED fog lamps and C-shaped LED elements within the taillights.
- 20-inch aluminum wheels are standard, with 22-inch wheels available.
- Integrated dual exhaust with bright polished outlets standard.
- Heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear outboard seat and heated, leather-wrapped steering wheel are standard.
- GMC Premium Infotainment System with 8-inch-diagonal HD color touchscreen, embedded navigation and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto phone projection compatibility.
- Customizable profiles, saved with each driver’s settings and presets and stored in the cloud, can be accessed and used in other compatible 2019 GMCs.
Ride and Handling Delivers Confidence
Sierra Denali’s exclusive Adaptive Ride Control offers premium ride comfort with better road isolation and control than ever. Through real-time monitoring of the road and driver inputs while accelerating, cornering, braking and trailering, the system’s active dampers can be individually adjusted every 2 milliseconds, based on sensor feedback.
The all-new Traction Select System allows drivers to choose from preset available drive modes that have been tailored for different terrain or weather conditions. It adjusts Sierra’s transmission shift points, throttle mapping and StabiliTrak to optimize performance for the situation. The system also reacts with the Adaptive Ride Control in Sierra Denali to further enhance the driving experience and refine the ride.
The available Traction Select system modes are:
- Tour: The default mode of operation at every start-up, Tour is designed to deliver the right blend of refinement and efficiency for everyday use.
- Sport: The transmission is eager to downshift in order to keep the engine in its peak powerband. Power steering assist is slightly reduced, making the steering feel more direct, communicative and sporty.
- Snow: Available only on two-wheel-drive Sierras, Snow Mode optimizes Sierra’s driveline for driving in wintry weather. In addition to leveraging Sierra’s standard Traction Control and StabiliTrak stability control systems, Snow Mode also provides a slower, less sensitive accelerator pedal calibration.
- Off-Road: Designed for use for higher-speed driving on non-paved surfaces, Off-Road mode incorporates the same accelerator calibration as Snow Mode, giving the driver precise throttle control. Also incorporates unique StabiliTrak and traction control calibrations that allow for a little more wheelslip than on dry surfaces, in order to help carry momentum — important on gravel or in muddy situations.
- Tow/Haul: Modifies the transmission calibration so that shift points are higher, allowing the engine to deliver peak power. It also initiates downshifts earlier in order to leverage engine braking and reduce wear on brake components. Tow/Haul also engages Grade Braking functionality so that on long, downhill stretches, a light touch of the brake pedal can initiate a downshift to slow the vehicle more efficiently.
The Autotrac 2-Speed Transfer Case, standard on Sierra Denali, offers a mechanical low range to provide amplified torque at low speeds — ideal for use on severe off-road terrain, slippery boat launches and in other low-traction situations.
Next-generation Sierra models, including the Denali, also feature a new electro-hydraulic power brake boost system rather than a conventional vacuum-assist system, for strong, smooth and consistent brake pedal feel when the bed is loaded or when trailering. The four-wheel disc brake system also features larger-diameter Duralife brake rotors and larger brake pads to support its performance capability.
Segment’s most-powerful V-8 engine
The 2019 Sierra Denali’s available 6.2L V-8 engine is the segment’s largest displacement engine and most powerful, rated at an SAE-certified at 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 460 lb-ft of torque (623 Nm). It is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) debuts with the engine, offering industry-first cylinder deactivation technology that enables it to operate in 17 different patterns between two and eight cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power delivery and efficiency.
Sierra Denalis equipped with the optional 6.2L V-8 include a 10-speed automatic transmission designed to improve shift quality. It incorporates a new centrifugal pendulum absorber torque converter that reduces vibrations to improve smoothness, particularly during cylinder deactivation events.
An 8-inch-diagonal GMC Premium Infotainment System with a high-resolution color touchscreen and embedded navigation that incorporates Apple CarPlay and Android phone projection compatibility3 is standard for the Sierra Denali. Also standard is a seven-speaker Bose® Premium Sound System with Richbass® Woofer in the center console. The infotainment system also features advanced personalization features, enhanced voice recognition functionality and offers downloadable in-vehicle apps, including Spotify, USA Today and FOX Sports.
Simple and easy to use, an all-new in-vehicle Trailering App utilizes sensors and cameras to help ease the process of towing in all stages: during hitching and setup, on the road and when responding to potential hazards. Features of the in-vehicle Trailering App include customized trailer profiles, pre-departure checklists, assistance while checking external lights and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System (additional equipment and installation required) while offering an industry-first smartphone companion app for compatible devices.